got milk

So we all know that breast feeding for those who can is a beautiful “thang”.

Nursing hasn’t always been easy for me, I nursed Neriah for a total of three months before throwing in the towel! The reasons behind nursing for such a short time was due to a number of reason, primarily lack of milk.

I suffered from a serious case of what I like to call “struggle milk” little milk and high demand from my growing infant. I was a new mom who was pretty much set in her ways and despite being told to continue to nurse, I decided to transition to formula in order to ensure that my child was getting the nutrition she needed.

With Micah, things are … different. I was convinced that I would have the same issues I had with Riah… Which I did at first. While discussing the problem with my sweet friend Liz,she suggested I try “oatmeal water”.

My first reaction to her suggestion was… What on God’s green earth is oatmeal water.

After explaining the benefits and how simple and affordable it was to make, I decided to give it a try, and it worked!

I’ve increased my milk supply, so much that Neriah now calls me “Mommy Cow” more on that conversation on my IG feed (@milknhonee)

If you’re a mama who’s got milk issues, do yourself a favor and drink a nice cold cup of oatmeal water.

Below is what you’ll need!

Processed with VSCOcam with g2 preset

– a pitcher

–  2 cups of oats

–  water ( approx. a liter)

– sugar (optional ) I didn’t use any.

Directions

add water to pitcher

add oats and sugar to taste

refrigerate for a few hours ( overnight preferably)

Mix together when ready to consume until liquid is cloudy

pour into glass ( don’t pour oats in glass) and drink.

It’s not disgusting but it’s definitely not delicious. It is however worth  a try if you’re having a hard time with your milk supply. Be prepared to pump and  make extra room in your freezer :)

*this worked for me and I hope it works for you too!

Thank me later!

Signed “Mommy Cow”

As much as I’d like to take credit for this awesome concoction I cannot. A huge shout out to Liz aka Fefe an her sister for putting me on.

Be kind and share with your mommy friends mmmkay!

*hover over the pics to share on Pinterest.

Until next time.

8 Comments

• TWan

July 16, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. I never heard of this tip with my 1st child. I’m definitely giving this a try, since I need to start pumping for when I go back to work.

• Rupa

July 2, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I am struggling with bfing my lo. Did you drink all of the water? How long before you noticed the change in the milk supply? Please help me.

• Charlotte

July 2, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Hey Rupa!
      How old is your lo? I would suggest drinking it twice a day, it really depends on you. I saw a difference within a week, it’s certainly wasn’t overnight. I will say continue to nurse your lo even if you feel that there isn’t much going on and maybe supplement with formula if need be. Consistency is key. I’m not a lactation specialist but I will say that consistency and oatmeal water definitely increased my supply! hope this helps.

• Adanna

June 24, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Ah nursing! You’ll think it’s way more straight forward than all the little tips we need to learn to get through. Happy to hear it’s working out, everyone’s experience is different. Oatmeal and Mother’s Milk Tea were my go-to for milk production. It really works!

• Charlotte

June 25, 2015 at 8:05 am

Girl, let me tell you!!!!
      I will give Mother’s mil Tea a try. I will say that the oatmeal water works wonders! A must try for breastfeeding moms!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting! xox

• Sovanny

June 23, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Oh I have tried the oatmeal cookies to increase supply but this is so much easier. Thanks for sharing mama. Gosh one of these days I’ll have to drop into Chicago and we can have a play date xx

• Charlotte

June 25, 2015 at 8:09 am

Sovanny, you better not come to Chicago and not call me for a play date with the kiddos… and then a play date for us grown ups (wine and shopping involved)! How did the oatmeal cookies work for you? Please feel free to share with any breastfeeding mamas you know.. or keep in mind for baby number 3 ;) xoxoxo