hey baby

IMG_4226

In a effort to give Neriah a much deserved break from all of the “mommy ‘n’ me” posts, today I’m bringing you a different type of entry.

It’s very much still, “maman et moi” but a different concept. See, this one involves my “in utero” child  ( see, still mommy and me) ;)

I wanted to dedicate this post, to the ladies who have carried children and the ones currently carrying children.

You see, as pregnant women, we deal with all types of aches, and discomfort , so words of encouragement are always welcomed, unless of course you want to feel the wrath of a pregnant woman. Hell hath no fury like a woman with child, forget scorned!

So today, in not so typical mommy and me fashion, I bring you 10 things you should never say/do to a pregnant woman.

uno – stranger danger – respect her personal space. If you are a complete stranger, don’t touch her growing belly.

dos – big belly – “how far along are you, wow you are so big… Are you sure you are not carrying multiples?” – ummm yeah pretty sure.

tres– gender reveal – “so what are you having?” -Oh we’re going to wait to find out. “you should totally find out and then tell me”. – Umm ok?!

thing3

cuatro– eating habits – “are you going to eat all that?” Why yes, yes I am.

cinco- drinking habits- ” hey wanna come out for some drinks?” Ummm yeah right away!

seis – for my African people – What are you going to name your child? Eh? What kind of name is that o? Do you think you’re grand-mada and grand-fada will be able to pronounce that? No no no! You mast name him/her Assaba Maousi Memele*

siete – “So are you gonna have another one after this?”  Oh, umm can I drop this load first?

thing4

ocho – “you should totally have a natural birth, I did it and it’s best for you and the baby because the experience is so magical.” OH OK sure! I will let my OBGYN know you suggested that.

nueve– “you shouldn’t wear that while you’re pregnant!” Oh ok?!

diez– “oh my you’ve gained weight” Ummm I’m carrying a human… There’s a human in my belly.

——

I’ll be the first to say, that prior to becoming a mom, I’ve said a few of these things to fellow preggos so don’t feel so bad, this is all in good fun. LOL

Have any that you want to share? Drop them in the comment section below. To know where I got the dope “hey baby” shirt make your way to my IG @milknhonee .

P.S. That *African name is actually my middle name! Woop!

Until next time!

28 Comments

• Charlotte

January 15, 2015 at 9:31 am

hahahah! You know that Neriah’s middle name is Assaba! So I took care of that! Of course the parents have all types of suggestions for this baby! I will def. let you know!

• Assaba Linda

January 16, 2015 at 11:08 am

Oooooh her middle name is Assaba? I didn’t know! Ha! Now that’s my niece right there! :-D Does your mom want dibs on a Congolese name for baby #2? :-P

• Vivi

January 8, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Not pregnant nor have a child (even though this will be in my future…amen) but I’ve totally been around my friends who were pregnant and have witness some of these interactions happen to them (I swear I wasn’t the culprit! lolol). Being Naija, I can totally picture Aunty coming outta nowhere to ask you what the baby’s name is then proceed to give you a name to give your unborn child. Accent and all! Gotta love ’em.

• Charlotte

January 8, 2015 at 8:07 pm

It’s ok if you were the one with the questions LOL – I was once the culprit too… then I had a child.
      As for the names, don’t let me get started hahaha!

• Misfit Librarian

January 8, 2015 at 10:46 am

Love it!

This might sound weird but number one is something I worry about when I think about getting pregnant. Since I work in a public building and people “know” me I’m afraid random people are gonna come touch me, which actually happened to one of my librarian friends when she was pregnant.

• Charlotte

January 8, 2015 at 3:48 pm

LOL thanks luv!
      I think that you’ll be fine, tell ’em once sternly and I promise they won’t even think about coming for your belly again! Can’t wait to see a little Misfit Librarian baby :) xo

• Caprece

January 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

Great post!! When I was pregnant it was “Are you having twins? your belly is so big!” I’m like B_____ I’m small!!!” People kill me, lol.

• Charlotte

January 8, 2015 at 9:24 am

Caprece, your comment reminds of similar experience I had, asking me you having triplets,or twins. I was like listen ma’am why don’t YOU ring in MY items (she worked at Walgreens) and let’s keep things moving mmkay. hahaah People are funny aren’t they! hahah

• Charlotte

January 7, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Trina, they’re crazy for asking if you’re pregnant! I can’t stand crazy questions LOL – hahah thanks for stopping by xo

• Ty Knighten

January 6, 2015 at 8:36 pm

First off, congrats & secondly…LOL!!! I loved all of your points, especially #6.
    When I was pregnant, I hated people trying to touch my belly, like you said, especially those who you don’t know. Who does that & when did it become acceptable to do so?

• Charlotte

January 7, 2015 at 8:20 am

Hey Ty, hey!

I see them coming from a distance with their hands extended and I think “waiment” what’s going on here LOL. Plus nowadays you never know what people are thinking, the world is full of crazies hahah! So stay away!
      Thank you for stopping by!

• Aracely

January 6, 2015 at 11:21 am

Haha love this! I couldn’t agree more. My mother n law told me “you’re big” at 5 months..I just stared at her. I don’t understand why people think they should just put their hands on your belly, so weird.

• Marquita G.

January 6, 2015 at 9:44 am

Great post! Right on target! Being a mother of three..there is nothing i hated more than a stranger running up to me and touching my belly. I just don’t get how people forget completely about personal space when they see a pregnant woman! what is worse is that once you have the baby, these same people will attempt to run up and touch your baby’s hands! ugh! #BLMgirl

• Charlotte

January 6, 2015 at 9:50 am

I agree Marquita, if anything personal space is most important during pregnancy! oh yes, strangers touching a newborn baby… You just gave me an idea for a post hahaah! Thanks for stopping by!

• Ciara

January 6, 2015 at 9:23 am

LMBO I love this and I am not pregnant and never been a mom. #4 and #10 are hilarious to me because I would truly respond that way lol people say thee most smh #blmgirl

• Charlotte

January 6, 2015 at 9:31 am

Listen, lol! I eat like this when I’m not pregnant so you can only imagine my eating habits while pregnant, for every smart question I have an equally smart answer hahah! Thanks for stopping by Ciara.xo

• Charlotte

January 6, 2015 at 8:51 am

Thank you!
      I don’t get the obsession with complete strangers touching bellies. Family members I can somewhat understand, but strangers? LOL, I love the “touching them back” I will have to use that. Touch my belly and I will touch yours haha!

• Charlotte

January 6, 2015 at 8:08 am

Hahaha- Some of these questions are crazy I tell you – I love the name Gemma, so classic yet so modern – Thanks for stopping by Sovanny xoxo